ART PAPERS, a thirty-seven year-old nonprofit organization based in Atlanta, Georgia, seeks an Editor to
set a new editorial direction for its award-winning ART PAPERS magazine, produce its popular ART
PAPERS LIVE! lecture series, develop new programming, grow the organization's online presence, and
expand the publication into the digital realm. Ideal candidates will have facility in contemporary art
discourse, relationships with contemporary artists, critics, historians, and cultural producers, and a unique
perspective and editorial vision to contribute to ART PAPERS' continued success.
The Editor is responsible for the overall editorial form and content of ART PAPERS magazine, a bimonthly
international contemporary art magazine. The Editor oversees content management of the
website, manages the ART PAPERS LIVE! lecture series, and provides intellectual leadership for the
ongoing growth and development of the organization's programs. This individual will work closely with
Contributing Editors, freelance writers, ART PAPERS staff, and independent contractors to oversee the
magazine and website production process. The Editor ensures that ART PAPERS' efforts consistently
meet the highest publishing standards of editorial quality and timeliness. The Editor will enhance the
reputation of ART PAPERS magazine and will grow its readership. The Editor also will help to re-envision
the organization's print and online presence including the magazine, website, social media, and archive.
The Editor reports to the Executive Director and both individuals report to the ART PAPERS Board of
Directors. This is a full-time, exempt position with health and dental benefits.
- Bachelor's degree is required. Master's degree is preferred, or equivalent combination of education
- At least five years of publishing experience required, print publishing a plus. Must have experience
editing the work of others. Previous supervisory experience a plus.
- Strong writing, research, and editing skills with experience in maintaining high quality writing
standards under deadline pressure.
- Must have excellent organizational skills, be an effective communicator, and be adept at public
- Must have a strong professional network that is national and international in scope.
- Must be interested in the technological possibilities of the publication.
- Must have an extensive knowledge of art history, in particular contemporary art and culture.
- Must be a public face for the publication and be willing to attend events on behalf of the organization.
- Familiarity with a Mac platform and ability to work with Microsoft Office programs.
Qualified applicants should send a cover letter, resume, three references (name, title, professional
affiliation, email address, and phone number only), and three writing samples to Saskia Benjamin,
Executive Director at .
Absolutely no phone calls or drop-ins please.
Accepting applications through August 9, 2013.
Equal Opportunity Employer.
ART PAPERS is the independent critical voice covering contemporary art and culture in the world today.
We are committed to providing an accessible forum for the examination, discussion, and documentation
of the full spectrum of contemporary art and culture and how it affects and reflects our lives. We do this in
print, online, and through public programming.