Posted: May 1, 2012
Download Job Description PDF
The Editor-in-Chief is responsible for the overall editorial form and content of ART PAPERS magazine,
a bi-monthly international contemporary art magazine published out of Atlanta, Georgia. The Editor-in-Chief also
oversees content management on the artpapers.org website, manages the ART PAPERS LIVE! lecture series, and provides
intellectual leadership for the ongoing growth and development of the organization's programs. This individual
will work closely with freelance writers, ART PAPERS staff, and independent contractors to oversee story and
image editing and the overall magazine and website production process. The Editor-in-Chief ensures that ART PAPERS'
efforts consistently meet the highest publishing standards of editorial quality and timeliness. The Editor-in-Chief
reports to the Executive Director and both individuals report to the ART PAPERS Board of Directors.
Required Education and Experience:
- Assign feature stories and reviews to writers and critics.
- Assign and edit freelance contributors.
- Supervise the editing of features, reviews, and interviews.
- Provide final approval for all editorial content for both ART PAPERS magazine and website.
- Ensure content produced for online and social media meets high art critical standards.
- Generate original ideas for content and programming across all branches of ART PAPERS.
- Provide clear editorial guidance and feedback to staff.
- Establish and execute publishing schedule to ensure timely magazine publication and distribution.
- Help supervise interns and volunteers.
- Collaborate and coordinate with ART PAPERS staff and board for fundraising events, including the ART PAPERS auction.
- Work with Executive Director to provide strong, consistent leadership of the team.
- Work with Executive Director to hire staff.
- Supervise, train and manage staff and contributors through coaching, mentorship, on-going feedback, and performance assessments. Involve Executive Director and/or Board on performance issues as needed.
- Foster a creative and productive work environment. Create development opportunities and individualized development plans for staff and training to enhance skills and foster growth.
- Represent ART PAPERS at local, national and international conferences and art fairs; speak to diverse audiences about current issues in contemporary art.
- Conduct routine primary and secondary research on current art issues, trends and ideas.
- Coordinate coverage and organize editorial meetings.
- Assist in development and implementation of editorial and programming policies to
achieve consistent, reliable quality and depth.
- Other duties as assigned.
Required Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
- Bachelor's degree in Art Criticism, Art History, Journalism or equivalent experience.
- Five years of writing experience, with two years of editing or equivalent experience
- Experience in maintaining high writing standards under deadline pressure.
- Experience providing work direction or supervisory experience.
- Experience assigning stories and editing copy.
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Strong interest in, and knowledge of, international, national, and local contemporary art.
- Strong news gathering, writing and editing skills.
- Knowledge of print, web, and social media standards and style.
- Proven editorial judgment with a commitment to accuracy and balance.
- Leadership and personnel skills and ability to develop high performing teams.
- Ability to prioritize work, make decisions, and work productively in a fast-paced publishing environment, and have the temperament to enjoy the process.
- Ability to develop complex content ideas that provide analysis and add context.
- Ability to consistently work collegially and creatively with staff and colleagues at all levels.
- Ability to motivate, train and grow employees.
- Ability to inspire and lead staff.
- Excellent coaching, communication and teamwork skills.
- Commitment to public scholarship and engagement.
- Understanding of and commitment to quality management and continuous improvement.
- Ability to work across a range of skills and in a flexible manner, carrying out responsibilities in accordance with ART PAPERS' mission, values and professional standards.
- An understanding of the need for critical engagement with complex issues.
- Ability to see opportunities for connecting with readership, live audiences, and online communities.
- Well-established contacts in, and knowledge of, the international, national, and local contemporary art community.
Equal Opportunity Employer.
- Fluency in the critical language of contemporary art.
- Reading ability in French, Spanish, German or Italian.
- Strong public speaking skills.
- Experience with budget management.
- Experience with Internet content production and presentation.
- Knowledge of graphic design and layout.
- Knowledge of current office hardware and software.
Salary competitive and commensurate with education and experience. Excellent benefits.
Qualified applicants should send a cover letter and resume to: